Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Featured volunteer and educator AND welcome to the new school year!!

Happy September everyone!! The leaves are beginning to change.. our super-hot summer is (maybe?) starting to fade... and this week, students from kindergarten through university are headed back to school! That means that we are in full-swing planning mode, preparing for another exciting and fun year of outreach activities!

The beginning of a new semester means highlighting another one of our fantastic volunteers! Beginning this semester, we will also be featuring some of our dedicated educator partners, to recognize their everyday efforts to make science fun for their students!




Featured Educator

Tara teaches science to grades 1-3 at St. Peter, and she has been one of our most enthusiastic educator partners!  She makes science fun for her students by delivering a program that encourages hands on activities and promotes student learning through exploration and inquiry!  She believes that her students learn best by being engaged in their own learning; by seeing and doing. Tara invites Let's Talk Science volunteers into her classroom, because she believes that “this program works  to present students with scientific concepts, using creative hands on activities that are aligned to the curriculum expectations and to [her] philosophy of a ‘hands on approach’ to learning”.


Featured Volunteer
Midori has been a Let's Talk Science volunteer for two years. In that time, she has dedicated over 100 hours of her time to working with youth!! Midori was the 2011-2012 winner of the University of Guelph Christopher Zweerman Volunteer of the Year award!!



Q. What are you studying and what have you studied in the past?
A:  I am currently working on my MSc in Biomedical Sciences and I did my undergraduate degree in Biochemistry at Laurentian University.


Q. What has been your favourite part of volunteering (or what is the best activity that you've done so far)?
A: I love being asked questions by the students because it shows that they were genuinely interested in what we were teaching.

Q. Why did you become a Let's Talk Science volunteer?
A. I wanted to get involved in the community and I couldn't think of a better way than sharing my passion for science with younger students.  It's been a great opportunity for me to improve my teaching skills and I think it's an excellent opportunity for kids to learn about science in a more interactive way.  I know I wish there had been more hands-on activities in science class when I was growing up!

Q. What are your goals for the future?
A. I am applying to medical school and would like to become an orthopaedic surgeon.



No comments:

Post a Comment