Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Featured Volunteer - Derek

Derek is a fantastic Let's Talk Science volunteer who has been active at the Guelph site since 2009. This year he has worked extensively with the Guelph Home-School Science Co-op and wowed them with demonstrations about chemistry, matter, and structures!
Derek
 
Q. What are you studying now and what have you studied in the past? 
A. I did my undergraduate degree at Dartmouth College, majoring in engineering and biology. I'm currently working on my Ph.D. in the Department of Animal and Poultry Science. My advisor is Dr. Julang Li and my project looks at the initiation of meiosis in soon-to-be germ cells. We're hoping to use that knowledge to improve artificial systems for reproductive technologies, such as in animal production. 
 
Q. Why did you become a Let's Talk Science volunteer?
A.  I've always enjoyed teaching and working with elementary-aged kids. I remember how much fun science was back in grade-school (not that it's not as fun now) and this seemed like a really great way to inspire kids to get fascinated about something that fascinates me. 
 
Q. What has been your favourite part of volunteering (or what is the best activity that you've done so far)?
A. Probably my favourite thing is seeing how excited everyone is when they see me coming back. That means I must be doing something right. And being able to do experiments that I (mostly) know are going to work out the way I'm expecting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment